International entry requirements for universities in the USA and Canada
Academic achievement in the USA and Canada in measured by GPA score. Find out more about the North American Higher Education system. Master's degree applicants may need GMAT or GRE scores. Undergraduate international students who apply with us are not required to take the ACT (American College Testing) or SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) exams.
Bachelor's degree entry requirements
- Successful completion of the international equivalent of US/Canadian secondary education (Year 12)
- Diploma or acceptable certification of graduation from High School in your home country
- English language ability between TOEFL iBT 68 and 71 for direct entry (no official TOEFL score needed for some programs) - see English language requirements.
- Proven academic achievement befitting future university success:
|Minimum GPA†||Required by|
|2.5||Long Island University, Roosevelt University|
|2.75||Widener University, University of Maine|
|3.0||James Madison University, Royal Roads University|
† GPA = Grade Point Average. Find out how your grades convert to North American GPA.
- Completion of the international equivalent of a North American 4-year bachelor's degree program from an accredited university.
- If you have a 3-year bachelor's degree or diploma, you can first complete a qualifying Pre-Master's program.
- Official transcripts for all colleges/universities attended
- English language ability between TOEFL iBT 79 and 88 for direct entry (an official TOEFL score may not be required for ESL and Pre-Master's programs) - see English language requirements.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Resumé for MBA programs
- Specific requirements for individual courses, including:
|Long Island University||
3.0 for all programs, except:
2.75 for Biology, Medical Biology, Nutrition, Pre-MBA
2.5 for Management Engineering, TESOL
|400-450 for MBA, Pre-MBA and MS Accounting||
Required for Psychology, Library and Info Science.
Required for Music only if GPA below 3.0
|Roosevelt University||2.7||Required for MBA, but only required to enter the Pre-Master's Program for students with a GPA below 3.0||Not required for MPA or MS Marketing|
|Royal Roads University||3.0||Not required for Pre-Master's Program or master's degrees|
|Widener University||2.8||Not required to enter the Pre-Master's Program but you will prepare and take the relevant test in the USA|
* Standardized graduate admissions tests
Graduate Management Admission Test® (GMAT)
The GMAT is used by many graduate schools of business in the USA to assess your ability for advanced study in business and management. The GMAT is delivered in English and measures mathematical, verbal and analytical skills. If you are applying for an MBA, most universities require you to take the test (see details in the table above). Go to the GMAT website.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
To qualify for admission to graduate programs in non-business disciplines, you are sometimes required to take the GRE (see details in the table above). The exam measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking, and analytical writing skills. There are also subject specific GRE tests for biochemistry, biology, chemistry, computer science, literature, math, physics and psychology. Go to the GRE website.
The information on this page serves ONLY as a GUIDE to the minimum requirements for university acceptance. The institution evaluates your complete application and makes an offer based on your entire profile.