As an entrepreneurial, metropolitan university, Widener offers the resources of a large research institution within a small academic community. The beautiful campus is located just south of Philadelphia, the 6th largest city in the USA. It offers a dynamic atmosphere for exploring business, technology, history, arts and entertainment. Widener students are well prepared for the global market-place of the 21st Century, and will be challenged to seek partnerships in life and business worldwide.
|Institution type:||National Research University (private)|
|Student population:||6,630 (147 international students)|
|Campus setting:||Urban - small city|
International Year One: equivalent of TOEFL iBT 45; Pre-Master's: iBT 60 (no official score required)
Success after graduation
See a full list of majors available at this university in the right column.
Save preferred majors in your profile. You can then apply for, or ask a question about, your top three choices of university and degree program in North America.
You're not just choosing a University - you're connecting with the mentors who will open doors to your career, the peers who will form your life-long network, and the experiences that will lay the foundation for your success.
Widener University is an innovative metropolitan university that combines academic quality with career preparation and a commitment to community service. A Widener education connects curricula to societal issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, personal attention, and experiential learning comprise the Widener experience.
Undergraduate academic programs
Note: Entry to a bachelor's degree is through International Year One only. This specialized pathway will save you money, and if you need to improve your English, fast-track your preparation.
Meaningful hands-on experience is embedded into every program at Widener University. The majority of Widener students in all fields pursue an internship or fieldwork experience related to their major. Beyond the expected opportunities, Widener students are plunged into real-world practice through innovative programs in their disciplines - interning at Widener's Small Business Development Center, participating in faculty research, publishing or presenting their own research, and participating in service learning projects in the community.
The following majors are available through four International Year One pathways:
Graduate academic programs
Note: Entry to a master's degree is through the Pre-Master's program only. This specialized pathway for international students will improve your English and prepare you for graduate level study and the GRE/GMAT.
Master's in engineering:
- Biomedical Engineering, MEng
- Chemical Engineering, MEng
- Civil Engineering, MEng
- Electrical Engineering, MEng
- Engineering Management, MEng
- Mechanical Engineering, MEng
Master's in business:
Business Administration, MBA (accredited by AACSB International)
- MBA Business Process Innovation
- MBA Technology Management
- MBA Human Resource and Organizational Leadership
- MBA Enterprise Resource Planning
- MBA Hospitality Management
Taxation and Financial Planning, MS
Master's in hospitality
- MS Hospitality and Tourism
Student accommodation (included in fee for undergraduate students)
- On-campus accommodation for undergraduate students
- Assistance finding private accommodation very close to campus for graduate students
- 11 dormitory-style residence halls, 4 apartment buildings, and fraternity and sorority houses
- Most international students are housed in Sharples Hall
- Residence halls offer double rooms, and a bathroom shared between 4 students
All rooms at Widener are semi-furnished spaces, with beds, desks, and room-appropriate furniture. Suites in Widener's apartment buildings include kitchens with full-sized refrigerators and oven ranges, as well as in-suite baths. Graduate students can find comfortable and affordable accommodation near campus.
Student meal plan (included in price for undergraduate students)
There is a wide selection of food choices in the cafeteria that is conveniently located on campus. All freshmen must participate in an on-campus meal plan:
- 19 meals per week
- plus $100 dining dollars per semester
- meals are served at the Pride Cafe, an all-you-care-to-eat dining facility
Campus facilities and activities
- International student services: International Study Center, special advisor, ESL support
- Student clubs and organizations: 85+ from service groups to dance troupes, honor societies to club sports
- Sports: 20 varsity sports play in the Middle Atlantic Conference, plus intramural sports and club sports.
Men's varsity teams: baseball, football, golf basketball, cross country, lacrosse, soccer, swimming, indoor track and field, outdoor track and field
Women's varsity teams: field hockey, softball, volleyball basketball, cross country, lacrosse, soccer, swimming, indoor track and field, outdoor track and field
- Books in library: 217,995
- Computers: 720 for student use, Wi-Fi internet
- Student facilities: cafeteria, ATMs, campus store, food court, bank, post office, fitness center, aerobics room, rock climbing wall, athletic training facilities, gymnasium, weight room, field house, championship size swimming pool
- Special campus facilities: Observatory with 16-inch computer-driven telescope, Pennsylvania Military College History Museum, Widener Art Museum
- Security services: student shuttle bus that runs both on and off campus, emergency call boxes, campus security system, emergency notification system (E2Campus Alerts), bike patrol unit, evening student patrol, lighted walkways, card access control for residence halls
The beautifully landscaped campus is located just south of Philadelphia. Widener University's commitment to student success begins on campus. Top notch facilities allow students to make the most of their American University experience, both in and out of the classroom.
Widener University has an array of clubs, student and community groups, as well as sports teams and academic leagues. In recognition of the University's work, Widener was named to the US President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll "with distinction". This award is the highest federal recognition a college or university can receive for civic engagement and volunteerism. Widener has been given the honor every year since the award's inception in 2006. 75% of Widener students participate in community service or volunteer.
- Region: mid-Atlantic USA
- State: Pennsylvania
- Nearest large city: Philadelphia (20 minutes)
- Airport transfer on initial arrival from nearest airport: Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) - 7 miles from campus
- Nearest train station: Chester (1 mile)
- Public transport: shuttle bus serves campus
- Climate: 4 distinct seasons
Widener University's picturesque campus is in Chester - a small city of 33,972 in the southeastern part of Pennsylvania state. The area offers a rich cultural history that includes a wide variety of academic institutions. Nearly 20 colleges are located within a 30 mile radius. The area has become known as The Knowledge Corridor, a gateway to 21st century academic excellence that provides the region with a well-educated workforce.
Widener University is located in Chester, Pennsylvania, just minutes from central Philadelphia. The University, which sits on more than 45 sq. km of land, finds itself at the intersection of some of America's most culturally diverse and commercially vibrant metropolitan areas. With New York City just to the north, and Washington, DC, accessible to the south, Widener University has a prime location for travel within USA's mid-Atlantic region. Philadelphia, which played home to America's founding fathers, is a trove of history, culture, and American tradition. The city, with a population of over 4 million, is well-known for its welcoming vibe, living up to the name's meaning as "the city of brotherly love". With many top-tier universities, museums, and social attractions, Philadelphia has distinguished itself as a destination for innovation and academia. By all counts, Philadelphia is a perfect US city for international students.
An urban campus
While the Widener University campus is unquestionably geared towards university events, the school's proximity to Philadelphia allows students a variety of uniquely urban treats. Students are encouraged to explore Philadelphia and surrounding areas. Students often visit Philadelphia's museums, restaurants, and entertainment venues, which hold host to some of the world's most renowned exhibits, restaurateurs, speakers, and performers. The campus takes full advantage of the diverse environment of the Philadelphia metropolitan area.
Video of Widener University
Widener University News
|Octover 2012||International student reception in Phildelphia|
- Prices are for programs starting in the 2013 -14 academic year
- US university fees are given in United States Dollars (USD). Canadian university fees are given in Canadian Dollars (CAD).
- Find out the price in your local currency using an online currency converter
- Prices are estimated and subject to change without notice
International student grants
All undergraduate international students who enroll into Widener University in the 2013-14 academic year, through International Year One, receive a 4-year grant of over $11,000* a year! To be eligible for the grant you must be accepted for admission to the International Study Center at Widener University.
The price of $25,650 per year for your bachelor's degree tuition will be held for all 4 years (8-semesters maximum). International students save over USD $46,000 for an undergraduate degree at a Top 200 ranked American university!
* compared to Widener University's published undergraduate tuition fee of $37,370 for direct entry.
The prices listed above are a COMBINED TOTAL, showing the amount you will need to pay for tuition, university facilities and services, accommodation and meals**, insurance coverage and airport transfer.
- Undergraduate price is for Year 1 of a bachelor's degree (on International Year One). When you progress onto a degree program, fees are paid directly to the University, but remain the same for Year 2, 3 and 4.
- Graduate degree prices are for the entire program, ** but do not include accommodation and meals.
- Degree preparation prices are for the shortest program offered. The duration of these programs will be longer (and therefore the fee higher) for students with lower English levels.
- Download the Widener University pricelist ( 302kB)
Below is a breakdown of Widener University costs for international students:
|International Year One||n/a||$25,650||$33,210||$39,195|
|Bachelor's degree (semesters 3-8)||$25,650 per academic year|
|Master's degree in Business||$912 per credit|
|Master's degree in Engineering||$1,040 per credit|
|Master's degree in Hospitality||$784 per credit|
Mandatory and university fees
|Technology fee||$239 per semester for undergraduate students
$115 per semester for graduate students
|Student Activity fee||$90 per semester for undergraduate students
$25 per semester for graduate students
There may be additional fees upon full matriculation into the major, depending on the field of study.
Accommodation and meal fees
|Type of housing/meal plan||Price||Duration and details|
|On-campus accommodation and meal plan||$6,268||per semester - Sharples Residence Hall double room, and 19 meals per week. Available to undergraduate students only.|
|Off-campus housing for graduate students||$3,440||per semester (for spring and fall semester; less in summer semester)|
Supplementary and admission fees
|Pickup by private car from Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)||$140 optional - one-way on initial arrival only|
|Deposit for release of I-20 immigration document||Ranges from $500-$3,000, payable on acceptance|