English Language Level

Canadian and American universities expect strong English language abilities from their students. They want to be sure that you can cope with the demands of degree-level study.

But there is no need to worry; many international students need some help to achieve the required level of English. Study Group’s dedicated university pathway programs give you all the support you need to excel in your chosen Canadian or American degree.

Will you be required to take English Language admission tests?

If you want to apply for direct entry to a degree at university in the USA or Canada, you need to show proof of your English language abilities.

Which English tests are available to prove your language abilities?

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores are the most common language requirements for American universities.
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam scores are the most common language requirements for Canadian universities.
  • Most North American universities will accept either test as proof of your English language ability. You can take TOEFL and IELTS exams at testing centers worldwide.

Do you need an official English score if you take a Study Group pathway program?

If you apply to a university in the USA or Canada through one of our English language programs, Bachelor's degree pathways or Pre-Master's programs for international students, you do not need an official TOEFL or IELTS English score.

Find out more about the English requirements for the degree you want to study