Frequently Asked Questions about studying in North America

We strongly recommend that you defer to the following semester rather than cancel your place. If that’s not possible, you will be subject to the university's refund policy. If you are denied a visa, you will receive a full refund when you show official proof that your visa has been refused.

There is no application fee if you apply through Study Group. You can apply for up to three universities with our online application form. If you apply directly to a university in the USA or Canada, you have to pay each time you apply. 

To study in Canada, international students need to get a study permit. Students from certain countries will also need a temporary resident visa (TRV). Find out more at and

To study in the USA, international students need to get a student visa.

Find out more about what you need to get a visa to study in the United States.

Study Group teaches customized programs across higher, language and online education starting from High School to life-long learning. We operate our own colleges and also partner with leading universities across the UK, Europe, the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Find out more about us at

Choosing where and what to study in North America can seem like a big project. To help you narrow it down to the best options for you, Study Group offers a range of university and degree options that reflects the wide choice on offer in the USA and Canada. Our skilled and experienced advisors can talk you through your options and help you come to the best decision for you. Get in touch today

Bachelor’s degrees usually cost between $10,000 - $37,000 per year. Master's degrees range from $23,520 to $79,317 for the entire program. Besides tuition fees, you will also need to account for accommodation, living costs and flights to and from your chosen university. Find out more about fees and ways to pay

In many countries, a college is of lower ranking than a university and offers only vocational courses. This is not the case in North America. Many of the finest private universities in the USA are called 'colleges'. Traditionally, only universities offered graduate studies. Today, this is no longer the case. Many colleges also offer graduate programs. 

You can find out more about the Higher Education systems in the USA and Canada here.

You will need to provide an official copy of your academic transcripts, translated into English, with your application. Some universities will also require you to provide a professional evaluation of your academic grades. World Education Service will review your transcripts and prepare a transcript evaluation report for a fee (starting from $100).

Most North American universities are closed during the Thanksgiving holiday in late November, the Christmas holiday (which normally lasts about four weeks across December and January), the Spring vacation in April (approximately 10 days), and the summer vacation (commonly May to August). Depending on the university, you might be allowed to stay in your campus accommodation at an extra charge. You may need to find other accommodation outside the campus while the university is closed.

If you can’t find the answer to your question, you can contact our professional, helpful team. They are experts in North American university admission and entry requirements for international students.