Getting a Visa or Canadian Study Permit

Once you have been accepted to a university and paid your deposit, you can apply for an American student visa or a Canadian study permit.

You should contact the nearest USA or Canadian Embassy or Consulate in your country to find out how to apply. You may need to make an appointment, or walk-in hours may be available.

What is a visa?

A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to an American port of entry and request permission from an immigration officer to enter the USA. Please note that it does not guarantee entry into the USA.

What kind of visa do you need to study in the USA?

To study at university in the USA you need an F-1 (non-immigrant) student visa. You should plan well ahead to make sure that your visa is issued before you leave for the United States. Your university will issue your I-20 immigration documents, and your visa will be valid for the entire duration of your studies.

Find out more about what you need to get a visa to study in the United States.

What kind of visa do you need to study in Canada?

For study in Canada, the study permit is the official document issued by an officer that allows someone who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada to study in Canada. International students must apply for a Canadian Study Permit and, depending on their home country, a Temporary Resident Visa.

What is a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)?

A temporary resident visa is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office. It is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

Find out more by visiting the Canadian Governments pages about study permits, and use the online tool to check if you need a visa.